Online Producer/Web Editor
The Center for Sustainable Journalism is looking for a highly-skilled, qualified employee to lead online production, web development and digital strategy for YouthToday.org and the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange (JJIE.org) – national publications covering various aspects of youth issues, policy and industry news. The successful applicant will be a self-starter with strong time-management and organizational skills, possess a working knowledge of journalism processes and applicable ethics, and must be proficient in related technologies. He/she will be responsible for preparing Center for Sustainable Journalism and related projects’ content for web distribution in a timely manner, maintaining web operations for all CSJ and JJIE online real-estate, and coordinating SEO and other digital strategies to drive readership in conjunction with print products and various departments. The successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding of design, usability, innovative content delivery and online community management as they pertain to a digital-first newsroom. This role will coordinate with the JJIE.org Editor and the CSJ’s Marketing and Logistics Manager to support the respective objectives of each strategy, department and mission.
- Maintain CSJ and JJIE web properties, including the delivery of all online and multimedia content, in conjunction with print and other deadlines.
- Work with the editorial and development team to ensure the community platform (ex. forums, blogs, moderation tools) influences the roadmap to monetizing the project.
- Implement digital marketing and online community strategy, coordinating with key team members across the organization to ensure effectiveness.
- Leverage existing and emerging social media channels and properties for newsgathering and fact-checking purposes. Train editorial staff as necessary.
- Act as an advocate of the Center in the brand’s community and as the advocate of the community within the organization, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Supporting graphic design work for the CSJ and projects as needed.
- SEO, keyword and other digital research to ensure effectiveness of digital strategy, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years experience in news or PR organization with a digital-first model, or equal combination of education and experience.
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure and fantastic interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Basic understanding and execution of design principles.
- Advanced knowledge of the field of journalism, specifically surrounding issues related to juvenile justice and youth.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written, verbal and visual formats.
- Good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
- The ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Working knowledge of:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Adobe Lightroom
- WordPress CMS and Headway theme
- Final Cut Studio video editing software
- MAC and Windows OS
- Digital research and newsgathering practices
- Social media platforms and application
Send cover letter, resume and applicable work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2012. PLEASE include “Online Producer” as the subject line.