American Idol Says No to Social Media

For the first time, American Idol is feeling the impact of social media. Andrew Garcia created a large following on YouTube before making his way into the top 12 American Idol finalists. AI producers have asked Andrew to remove all of his videos, many of them having accumulated over 1 million views. Further, Andrew and fellow contestants, Lee Dewyze and Alex Lambert, posted a message together to their fans that was uploaded to Andrew’s YouTube account. Producers asked for that video to be taken down also. Presently Andrew has no videos posted to his account with over 60,000 subscribers awaiting his return. Luckily, however, some of those videos were copied to other accounts before they were deleted.

Contestants employing social media in the American Idol competition is unprecedented. Do you think Andrew should be allowed to stay in contact with his subscribers? And do you think it is fair to force him to remove his previously recorded videos?  Do you think the power of social media is enough to carry him to the top spot?

Here is Andrew’s Hollywood audition that won him acclaim from the judges:

No Responses to American Idol Says No to Social Media
  1. Adrianne Thao
    May 27, 2010 | 3:40 am

    Now that Simon is exiting the show what would be the purpose of watching American Idol? To hear Ryan Seacrest? Yeah right!!!!

  2. Bridgette Eduardo
    June 2, 2010 | 3:30 am

    American Idol and the winner is Lee DeWyze..

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://sustainablejournalism.org/socon11/american-idol-says-no-social-media/trackback